Comment on Proposed Fee Increases for National Parks

Comment Period: Now through November 23, 2017.

The National Park Service is proposing to implement peak season entrance fees at 17 of its busiest national parks. During peak-season, the entrance fee will be $70 per private, non-commercial vehicle, $50 per motorcycle, and $30 per person. Additionally, the commercial tour entrance fee at these parks would also have a peak-season pricing. The annual America the Beautiful-The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass which provides free entrance to all parks for a year will remain $80.  80% of the money will remain in the park where it is collected. The other 20% will be spent on projects in other national parks. the National Park Service said the fee increases would raise $70 million more toward addressing an $11 billion backlog in park maintenance to repair deteriorating buildings, restrooms and roads.

The fact sheet on the NPS site does not mention Trump’s 2018 budget proposal to cut nearly $400 million from the parks. There are also bipartisan bills in Congress that would divert $12 billion in federal oil and gas royalties from the national treasury to fund the park maintenance backlog over 30 years. 

To comment go to https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?documentID=83652

One comment on “Comment on Proposed Fee Increases for National Parks

  1. Mark Reynolds says:

    This is an outrageous attempt to make national parks only available to a few, while the Trump Administration cuts funding for parks. These parks are a national heritage. They should be available to all, regardless of monetary privilege. I oppose these proposals to increase the fee to utilize the public lands.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *